Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Let My People Eat

Happy Passover! As I write this, I am currently eating what becomes my go-to meal during this holiday: matzoh, about a half pound of heart smart spread, and a shaker of salt. I think I may still be full from last night's Seder. The Passover meal is one of my very favorite to make, but this year, we spent it at Dad and Linda's apartment, with Melissa, Lydia and two of Linda's friends. Dad leads a great Seder service. Not too long, not too short (of course the hungry kids may disagree). We recall the past and try to make it relevant to the present.
And then we eat.
A lot.
First, the gefilte fish, for those of us who can actually eat the stuff. Enough horseradish, and even a ball of fish can taste good. Plus, horseradish is one of those new health items, or so they tell me on the radio. Anti-oxidents, and all that good stuff. Wait, let's talk about gefilte fish for a second. People mock this lowly fish ball. However, I bet if you went to a fancy restaurant in Paris, and one of the courses was Quenelles du Poisson, you'd ooh and aah over it. Just because it is a: served cold with a slice of cooked carrot on top (requisite garnish) and b: made of carp, pike and whitefish (bottom feeders, river swimmers) and finally c: is kinda grey, it gets a bum rap. Oh well, more for me.

Next course, matzoh ball soup. Oh sweet yummy elixer of life! A good bowl of chicken broth with carrots, celery, onion, a little chicken (I put some fresh dill in) and if made properly, a light as air dumpling made of matzoh meal, egg, oil and water. I use seltzer. It is absolutely my favorite part of the meal. I could stop at this point of the meal, but there is so much more.

My family always eats brisket for the main course. There are as many recipes for brisket as there are bubbies out there making it. Some use onion soup mix in the gravy, some ketchup, some tomato paste..red or brown gravy, it's Jewish Soul Food..

I think tomorrow night's post will talk about dessert...right now, I need to step away from the matzoh box..

No comments:

Post a Comment