Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sometimes I Wish I Still Had a Restaurant

Last night's dinner was one of those moments when I wished I was still creating food for people at my own restaurant. I hadn't really set out to make what became one of (what I think is) the best fish dishes I've ever come up with, but hey, greatness happens..and it comes, once again, from the drawers of my refrigerator. Remember, the name of the blog is "FOOD HAPPENS".

Ok, so spring has finally arrived in PA. It has been beautiful for the past few days. I am also on a bit of a paid leave from work, as my corporate cafe is being remodeled. So, I felt like cooking something on the grill. I thought it was time for wild salmon already, so I headed to my local fish guy, Heller's Seafood in Warrington, PA. I have known Greg Heller and his crew for a long time. I bought my fish for the restaurant from them. They get wonderful stuff, but it ain't cheap. Apparently, the wild fish hasn't started running in the Pacific Northwest quite yet; we are a couple weeks away from Washington and Oregon fish. Right now, there is some Alaskan salmon, but it is hard to come by, and like $30/lb. That's out of my range. What they did have was some line caught Grouper. If you have never eaten grouper, it is a warm water swimmer from down in the Atlantic and the Gulf. It is a sweet, firm fish with just enough fat to keep it from being too dry and flaky.

 Because it is indigenous to the warmer climes, I tend to think of lighter, more fruity accompaniments. But, I also had a bag of rainbow Swiss Chard in my fridge that needed to be cooked. I had a couple of blood oranges in there, too, a half a red onion, and a seedless cucumber. I bought the fish, two navel oranges and an avocado. And here's what I did:

I peeled all of the oranges with a knife, cutting off the top and bottom, and then running the knife down the skin. Then I cut the oranges in half and made half moon slices. They went in a mixing bowl. I cut some of the cucumber into chunks and added them. Sliced the red onion thinly and added it. Cut the avocado into chunks and that went in, too. I dressed that with extra-virgin, really fruity olive oil, a squeeze of lime and some sea salt.

I took a piece of foil, sprayed it and put the fish on. Put a couple slices of the orange and the onion on top and ground some of my neat South African Smoke Seasoning that I got from Trader Joe's. (If you follow my blog, you've seen a picture of it with some chicken) Drizzled a little olive oil on and a squeeze of lime, and sealed up the package, leaving a little bit open at the top. This went on the grill to cook. It was a thick piece of fish, so it took about 10-12 minutes.

While that was cooking, I heated some olive oil lightly in a saute pan, and then cooked the chard over a medium heat until it was getting soft, but a still a little crispy. That went on the plate as the base. The fish went on next, and then a topping of the orange/avocado/cuke salad. It was and incredible flavor and texture experience. Paying for line caught fish was totally worth it. I actually blew myself away! Damn! Do this dish with grouper, snapper, striper, monkfish, even salmon.
Here, take a look:

See you soon with more!

1 comment: