Sunday, February 3, 2013

Laissez bon temps Roulez!

It's Super Bowl Sunday, and I am in Baltimore at my friend Suzie Rogers' house. She has dressed me in purple from head to toe. I have Ravens tatoos under my eyes. I am wearing a silly hat. And...I am cooking Jambalaya, because if the big game is in New Orleans, then why not party like you're in the Big Easy?
Jambalaya is so easy to make. It's such a great party food, because you can put it on hours before and just let it simmer. It was funny, Suzie was looking at recipes for Jamby on the internet, and said  "well, Emeril adds worcestershire" and "this one adds this stuff". My answer to her was, " that's how they publish the recipe and call it their own". There really is only one mother recipe for most things, and then chefs tweak them and make them "their" recipe. I learned how to make jambalaya a long time ago. It's simple and good.
The basic ingredients:
Chicken breast, diced
Shrimp
Andouille sausage
Red and Green Peppers, diced
Onions, diced
Celery, sliced or diced
Canned diced tomatoes
Cajun Seasoning
Cayenne Pepper
Chicken Stock
Oregano
White Rice (I like Uncle Ben)

I start by dicing the onion, celery and peppers, and softening them in some vegetable oil. Then add the diced chicken breast and let it cook until opaque. Then, add the canned tomatoes, the seasonings and the chicken broth. Lower the heat and let it simmer. I didn't give you exact amounts on the seasonings. Add as much as makes you happy. Add the sausage after about 15 minutes.  Let it go for a bit. If it needs more liquid, and some water or more broth. Then add the rice. It will just cook into the mess. Don't add the shrimp until you are close to wanting to eat. It only takes about 10 minutes to cook the shrimp and you don't want it to get too tough.
It really needs no garnish. Just chow down. I usually make a ton so there are leftovers.
Ok...it's almost game time. I need to get ready.
Enjoy the bowl. Hope your team wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment