Tuesday, January 29, 2013

This is one GOOD burger

I love burgers. A big, yummy, juicy, rare cheeseburger is a beautiful thing. But they are not something you can (or should) eat that often. I'm not really that nuts about turkey burgers, though. The ones you get in a restaurant are ok, but they usually cook them to death out of fear of killing you with a foodborne illness. I wanted to make something at home that was lowfat, but still yummers.
I am lucky enough to have a great meat market near me. They cut all of their own meats, and grind their own as well. They grind all white meat chicken and package it. It's amazingly inexpensive, so I buy it in big lots, because it is popular and not always available.
Once again, I cannot take credit for this recipe. Hey, if I didn't make it up, I'm not gonna take the accolades. This one was put together by Michelle Manzo. It's scary easy, and I usually make a bunch of them and freeze them to pull out whenever I want a burger. I did't think the kids would like them, but they now prefer them over beef burgers.
Ground chicken is harder to work with than other ground meats, primarily because it has NO fat in it. You have to work quickly and rather gently. To about a pound of raw ground chicken, add some salt, pepper, granulated garlic and worcestershire sauce. (It really does add a good flavor) Then add some bread crumbs to help bind it a little. I wish I could give you exact amounts, but I sort of wing it every time. You don't want to make it too tight. When you work with it, it will still be a little mushy, but don't worry it will set right up when it cooks. I recommend using gloves when you make these burgers. It's sticky icky.
So...you can't put these guys straight onto the grill. If you do, you will never get them off. What I do is line a cookie sheet with foil, spray the foil and make the patties right on the foil. Then I slide the foil onto the grill. When they have cooked on one side (about 6 minutes) I flip them gently and finish cooking. If you have a meat thermometer, make sure they are cooked over 165, please. If you don't play with them, they won't get dried out, I promise. Trust me, medium rare chicken is NO GOOD, no matter what anyone says.
In our family, we serve them with cheese (any cheese goes well), usually arugula, tomato, avocado and sometimes sprouts. Tonight's version has lettuce, because I forgot to get arugula.
If you make a bunch of them, you can freeze them cooked, or freeze them raw on a sheet tray then wrap them individually.
It's a burger you can feel good about.
And now, it's early to bed tonight. Big day at work tomorrow. Enjoy the break in the weather, and maybe even get back out to your grill.
Until later..

No comments:

Post a Comment