Wednesday, January 2, 2013

She's baaaaaack...

Ok, I remembered how to get back onto my blog site. It's been way too long since I wrote about food. I'm going to keep this short and sweet tonight, though, because I'm getting over the flu and have to get to bed. The alarm rings at 4 am tomorrow. Yes, I know, that's horrible. When this blog and the facebook site gather momentum, and the world discovers my mad skills, maybe I won't have to get up at 4 in the morning anymore...
So, here's the deal. It's January. We've all eaten and drunk too much over the past month, and it's time to start eating healthy again. What I thought I'd do this month, is focus on some seasonal, comfort foods and ingredients that are lowfat, high protein, and all around will make you feel better. You will discover over the next few weeks that I am a big big fan of beans. And legumes. And root vegetables. And leafy greens.
So, quickly now, before the lemon balm and honey tea send me off to dreamland, let me tell you about what I made tonight. Pan Seared Cod over a Ragout of Kale, Sweet Potato and Chickpeas.
Oh. Yum.
So, I love Trader Joe's. To the moon and back. And that's where we began tonight. I got all the ingredients there. The cod is flash frozen, but if your pan is hot enough, you can get a good sear on it. I cooked the sweet potato in the microwave until it was just getting soft, then cooled and peeled it, and cut it into cubes. I bought the prewashed, cut kale in a bag. (see, I'm trying to make this easy on you) and a can of chick peas. I also got some of their chicken stock, and I had the garlic and fresh rosemary and lemon here at the house. Heat some olive oil in a pan, and when it gets hot, add a few big handfuls of the kale. Let it cook down a bit. Adjust the heat so it doesn't burn, but wilts. Add some fresh chopped garlic, the cubed potatoes, and the chickpeas. Toss around a bit, then add some chicken stock, enough to make it a bit soupy. Add some fresh chopped rosemary (for the love of all that is good and right in the world do NOT use dried rosemary) a bit of kosher or sea salt, and some freshly ground pepper. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the potatoes are just starting to get mushy. Squeeze a little lemon juice in.
Heat another pan (a good quality stainless or nonstick) and spray with olive oil or other spray. Lightly season the thawed cod with salt and pepper and flour VERY lightly, just a dusting. Place face down in the hot pan and allow to brown. Keep an eye on the heat so it doesn't scorch, though. Flip over and brown the other side. If the fish is thick you may have to finish in the oven for about 5 minutes.
Plate the potato kale mixture, place the fish on top, and garnish with lemon and a rosemary sprig.
There you go. Protein, vitamins, leafy greens, omega-3's, and virtually NO fat. Woohoo!
You love me, don't you?
www.facebook.com/foodhappensOk, guys, I'm out for the night. I'll be back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment