Monday, January 7, 2013

Dinner tonight

I am working on the promised chapter about what to have on hand to begin cooking all kinds of easy, yummy, healthy neato keeno coolio dishes, but I wanted to share tonight's dinner with you. It took all of 40 minutes to make, basically because that's how long it took the chicken to cook. I had everything on hand.
I used a whole cut up chicken, but this would work with boneless breast. You could probably use some kind of fish in this dish as well, but I was in the mood for chicken. It was seasoned with kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, a little garlic and some Italian herb mix. I roasted it in a 370 oven for about 35-40 minutes. If you use boneless breast, obviously you won't need to cook it that long.
While the chicken was cooking, I boiled some wheatberries. Yes, I said wheatberries. I got them at a local bulk foods store, but I'm sure they can be gotten at Trader Joe's or Wegmans, or maybe any supermarket these days. They took about 30 minutes to cook, on the stovetop, plenty of water, covered. Let's talk about wheatberries for a second. They are all kinds of yum, and are really good for you. They are whole, unprocessed wheat kernels, containing the germ, bran and endosperm. Because of this, they retain all of the vitamins and minerals. They are also high in fiber, and low in calories. They may help fight cancer, lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes, and possibly balance the national budget. But for sure, they are nutty and delicious.
So, rinse the berries well in cold running water, then put them in a pot, cover well with water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until they get soft. I cooked a cup of them, and it took about 25-30 minutes. While they were cooking, I took diced onion and diced dried apricots and cranberries, and softened them in some olive oil. When all was finished, I combined the berries and the fruit/onion mixture in a bowl, added some apple cider vinegar (another thing that's all kinds of good for you), some salt, pepper and honey. I have a friend with bees who makes her own honey, and it is soooo good. If you don't like honey, use a little agave nectar. You can find that everywhere these days. I also chopped up some fresh baby spinach and stirred it in. It just keeps getting healthier, doesn't it? Whee!
The last part of this plate was roasted cauliflower. Cauliflower: protein, minerals, fiber, folates, and tons of vitamin C. I broke it up into florets, tossed them in extra virgin olive oil, garlic and a little of my Italian spice blend and salt and pepper. Put it on a sheet pan, and roasted it while the chicken was cooking in the oven until it started to brown.

The picture once again doesn't do it justice, but I'm working on the photography. By the way, my kids LOVED it. They ate everything.
Ok, I can't get the stupid computer to upload the picture, so I'll put it on the Facebook page. Augh I am so bad at technology! I need a webmaster!https://www.facebook.com/FoodHappens

No comments:

Post a Comment