Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Book-intro from way back when

I promised that I'd start putting up the cookbook, as it was written many years ago. The introduction and the beginning chapters haven't really changed, but in the 6 or so years since I first began, my repertoire and palate have expanded exponentially, so it's time to start adding recipes.
Here is the intro:

I've been thinking about writing a cookbook for a long time. I've jotted down ideas, but never followed through. I mean, I know a lot of great recipes, but I couldn't decide on a "theme", a reason why someone would buy a book by me-and then actually use it. Over the years that I have been a chef, I have worked in many different types of restaurants, and with many different types of chef. I have always been a hands-on chef. I left cooking for awhile to teach, but it didn't take long before I was back in the kitchen; I needed to be close to food-to touch, smell and taste it. I love food. Cooking is art. It is creation and performance. People who become chefs don't do it for money, believe me. They cook because they have to, something compels them to. But I don't only cook to create. I do it because it is FUN. Yes, there are many kitchens where the line cooks work in silence and there is an air of utmost "professionalism." And there are many kitchens where everyone just screams at one another. My kitchens have always been filled with laughter. (And good music) I love going to work when I am surrounded by funny, intelligent people with the same mission as myself-to make great food, a decent living, and to have fun while doing it all. I'd hate to work as hard as I do if I didn't truly enjoy it.

But I digress. All I am trying to say is that cooking shouldn't be intimidating. Making good food is really easy, once you understand the basic concepts. there are lots of great chefs out there that never went to culinary school. (And lots of lousy ones who did, but that's not part of our story.) They just had a good palate, some common sense, and a bit of insanity in them. And they liked to eat. this describes me, and many of the people with whom I have had the pleasure to work. I hope that, if you have picked up this book, you are one of those type of people. You don't have to cook for a living to love to cook.

My dad loves to cook. So do many other friends and family members. They all have a multitude of cookbooks and recipes from websites. Yet my phone always rings- "what is mirepoix?" "how long does it take for pork loin to cook through?" "what can I do with kohlrabi?" Cooking shouldn't be a test of your knowledge. It should be fun. (I do believe I've mentioned that.) I mean, it is called "Entertaining" is it not? You shouldn't have to strain yourself to make a healthy, wonderful dinner for two. Or twenty.

So, the way I look at it, there has got to be something between the "heat and eat" of pre-prepared, packaged foods, and something that requires three days of preparations and some cooking equipment that looks like it belongs in a lab, not a kitchen.Once you understand the basics of food, there is no excuse not to eat well, be it simply prepared or more involved dishes. Where do I begin, you say? Well, start with your own palate. Obviously, you should eat what you like. Build a supply of staples in your home around your taste. Learn which food combinations work. And then, (remember, this is important) have FUN.

Whew! Wow, is some of that dated. I actually changed a few lines. I have grown so much since I started. And so has food. There was no Trader Joe's or Wegmans in the area. Pre made food has come a LONG way. But it is still pricey. And if you do like to cook, making it yourself is so much more satisfying. Especially when you are feeding a family. And want to stay healthy.

Next post I will put up the first chapter, which tells you the things to have in your house to make almost all of the recipes I will be posting. Right now, I'm going to go watch the last half of the Georgetown-Marquette basketball game.

Do me a favor, start telling your friends about this blog. Let's get more readers. And when I hit the big time, you can say you knew me when. Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment