Sunday, June 2, 2013

I was out running this morning with Snickers (my dog) and starting to think about a few conversations that I have had with people over the past couple of days regarding fitness and weight loss. Everyone seems to have a "plan", whether that is exercise, diet, or some combination of the two.

The "paleo" diet sounds interesting. You eat like a caveman. Hmmm...why do we think the cavemen were in such good shape? Because they had to run around all the time looking for food! They didn't drive to Wawa for a shortie hoagie and a bag of chips. We are not cavemen. Well, most of us aren't. I am very wary of diets that prohibit certain foods. If it is something you are used to craving, then you are bound to boomerang and eat it. Tell the average person they CAN'T have something, and they will instantly crave it.

And the workouts...every guru has a combination workout for you guaranteed to shed the pounds, tighten you up, blah blah blah. You can't just run, you have alternate speeds to really burn calories. And so on...

Here's the truth, in the simplest possible terms. The truth according to Dr. Lewis Halin:
To lose weight, you have to EXPEND MORE CALORIES THAN YOU CONSUME. Woot. There it is.

Now that you have been enlightened, let's talk about how you can accomplish this difficult task.

1. Carbs are not your enemy, however, SIMPLE carbs are dangerous. These are the immediate gratification foods; chips, donuts, cookies, breads, etc. You know, the things you are eating now. Calories are units of heat, carbs are fuel to burn. Simple carbs burn quickly, giving you the burst of energy to get to the next snack. The more you eat, the more of them you want, because your body wants more of the quick energy. THIS is the one big habit you have to break-eating too many simple carbs. What you need are COMPLEX carbohydrates. These are found in whole grains, oats, brown rice. If you are a follower of my blog, you know how I feel about whole grains versus processed foods and ingredients. Not only do the whole grains burn slower (giving you energy over a longer period of time), they are also better because they provide more nutrition, and less...how should I put this..crap for your system. Whole foods are better for you, and for the environment. (We all know I'm a tree hugger, too.) Less processing=less energy used in factories, less chemicals released into the water, less pollution in general. Have you tried a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast? You feel full for hours! You can still have your sandwich for lunch, just have it on whole grain bread. If you eat a salad, put beans and lentils and peas on it to stay full until dinner. Are you getting the point?

2. Now, let's look at the exercise portion of our program. I try to run every day. Note the word "try" in that sentence. It's good for my head and my body. I plug in the headphones, rev up Pandora 80's cardio mix, and I'm off. But not every one has the time, or the inclination to run or even go to a gym. That's cool. But you have to find other ways to keep your body burning the fuel you are putting in it. If you work in an office building, ALWAYS take the stairs. Walk wherever and whenever you can. Hell, even fidget at your desk. Every movement burns calories. Stop taking the easy way to everything. WALK. Stuck in traffic? Do butt squeezes. Watching TV? Do some ab crunches in the chair, or leg lifts. I'm serious. Stop sitting still all the time. There are a million and one ways to keep your body in motion.

3. Drink water. Constantly.

4. Alcohol is made of sugars and carbs. Simple carbs. It's fattening. I write this to remind myself, because this is my downfall, not ice cream or chips. Oh....and STOP DRINKING SODA and see what happens to your body. It will shrink.

I don't diet. I try to eat in moderation. It works. Don't punish yourself. You still have to eat. Just put a little more thought into what you are eating. And get a move on. You'll like what happens.

Thanks for listening. On Friday, I will be leaving for a week of sun and fun. I am taking the laptop, because I plan to blog my meals, which are being prepared for me by a personal chef. More details to follow, folks. Keep reading. Tell everyone you know about the blog. See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment