Friday, March 27, 2020

Cod Help Us

First of all, let me say how inconvenient it is that my local fish store can't be open, so I have to resort to the fish sold at the supermarket. I realize this is a total first world problem, but what can I say? I am fortunate enough to be able to pay the price for fresh, line caught fish, or high quality farmed fish. For those of you who don't have this opportunity, I want to explain the two reasons why I, whenever possible, buy non-farmed (or at least not from certain countries' farms) fish. Both reasons actually overlap. Because many farmed fish are kept in tight quarters and are fed mostly a corn based diet, they have very little taste, and much less nutritive value (having been fed corn). For example, you could probably eat a piece of cardboard and get about the same nutrients as if you ate a piece of farmed tilapia. Uh oh, I'm digressing. Moving on now.

Anyway, there I was with my piece of shrink-wrapped, previously frozen, supermarket cod.
I had bought some tasty cherry tomatoes, and a ball of fresh mozzarella, so was planning on some sort of Caprese thing. But I had no basil. So I thought, well hell, I'll add some baby arugula (I always seem to have this in my fridge). I was planning on putting this over some black beans with pickled onions. (I'm trying to not eat too much pasta, or it would have been orzo or something like that)
But wait. I had an avocado that was going funky. Better use that, too. So in it went. Well, at this point, why not just combine the whole thing? So I did.
Well now, we have somehow gone from Italian to Southwest, so I added some cumin, sea salt, pepper, olive oil and lime juice. Looked like this:
 Ok, now I had to season the fish. I have this chili-lime stuff that I bought from Aldi. I will not start talking about the virtues of Aldi at this point, or we will never get done. What I will say, is that this stuff has no artificial ingredients.

I sprinkled a little olive oil over this, and broiled it. So many ways I could have cooked it; pan-seared, in a foil packet, roasted-but this was the easiest at the time. Did you pick up on what I just told you?
You don't have to cook it the same way as I did. How 'bout dem apples?
Here's the finished product. If I had thought ahead, I might have made a lime crema or chipotle aioli to drizzle over it. Then, BOY, would it have looked impressive!
It was yummy, even without the drizzle.
Let's review: what began as an Italian style dish, morphed into a Southwestern dish. What happened?
FOOD. FOOD HAPPENS.
Happy eating. Stay safe, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment