Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Cauliflower is in Bloom

Have you been wondering where I've been for the past week or so? No? Wow, I thought you loved me. 
The thing is, I got furloughed from my job. I took a week of PTO, which gave me lots of time to cook and then talk about it. I really did intend on doing something every day. But then, I got picked up in the corporate labor pool. I'm working, which is a good thing. Pays the bills and all that. But it drastically cuts into my cooking and blogging time. By the time I get home, work out, shower, change, make dinner, and watch the obligatory one hour of M*A*S*H reruns, I'm beat. 
But no more. I made a commitment to keep posting, so I will. 

I've realized that I need to stop going shopping for a couple of weeks, since this is supposed to be the worst time for the virus where I live, so I'm going to work with what I have in the house. And when I get to go back out to the store again, I'm going to start being a little more frugal about what I buy. Times is hard and all that. 

So, it's time to eat cauliflower again. Last time, when I made the Buffalo cauli, my friend Nikki asked me for an Asian version. I'm basically treating the cauliflower like chicken wings, so I will most likely do pretty much every flavor you would find at your local BWW. 
I used the same batter as last time, except I added a tiny little bit of sesame oil, and cut out the smoked paprika. 
I found a recipe in my old binder, from when I had State Street Cafe, that I made up for chicken wings, and used it.

1/4 c. soy sauce
1 TB honey
1 TB sweet chili sauce
1/4 c. hoisin sauce
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. minced ginger (full disclosure: there was no ginger at my local market, so I got the stuff in a tube and it worked great)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. chili oil
toasted sesame seeds

Combine all ingredients, except sesame seeds, in a bowl. When cauliflower is finished in the oven, place in bowl and toss to coat. Plate and garnish with sesame seeds. 

That is a soba noodle salad with cucumbers, scallion, peppers and ginger-apple dressing. 
It was all yummy. 
Tune in again soon. There will be more. I promise. Meantime, hang in there. And try to eat healthy, at least until dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment