Sunday, April 26, 2020

Caesar the Day

Last week I had a craving for Caesar salad. It's funny, we have salad for dinner at least once a week, and I never think to make Caesar. I don't like most supermarket Caesar dressings. so that's probably why. Well, that, and the fact that romaine lettuce gets recalled about every 3 months for contamination. Don't get me started on that.

But anyway, I really wanted Caesar. So I made my own dressing. I posted a picture of the salad on Instagram and Facebook, and people started asking for the recipe. I'm sharing happily.
This recipe is one that I created way back when I had my restaurant. It uses raw egg yolks. I use very fresh eggs, (locally purchased when possible), so I never have worried about salmonella. If that freaks you out, I will give you a mayo based way to make it.

Caesar Dressing

1 or 2 anchovies (you can leave them out if they gross you out; I love them)
2 TB Dijon mustard
2 egg yolks
1 cup vegetable or blended oil (all olive oil will make it too rich)
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB red wine vinegar
3 shakes Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 TB minced fresh garlic
1/4 cup warm water
ground black pepper

This is best done in a food processor. A blender will make it too thick.

In your food processor, puree together the anchovy, garlic, mustard, egg yolks and Worcestershire. While the machine is running, slowly stream in the oil, then add the lemon juice, vinegar and cheese.
Season with the black pepper. Add water to get your desired consistency. I like a little bit thinner dressing, but if you like it thicker, you can leave the water out entirely.

 You can do it by hand, but you'll get quite a workout. You have to finely chop the garlic and anchovy into a paste, then put into a bowl with the mustard, egg yolks and Worcestershire. Whisk until the egg starts to get thick, then stream the oil in slowly, whisking constantly. Add the rest of the ingredients.

If raw egg gives you the heebie jeebies, then start with mayonnaise. Puree the garlic and anchovy, and whisk that, along with the mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire and cheese. You don't need vinegar, because most mayo has enough in it already.

As for the salad, well, beyond using either romaine or kale, you can add whatever you want. Remember my friends,
FOOD HAPPENS





No comments:

Post a Comment